Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Mental Health Day

Yesterday morning while texting my best friend I sent a text without really thinking. I told her I needed a mental health day. I'm one of those people that struggles to really understand what a break is. I prefer to run, run, and run until everything is done. Of course with life, nothing is ever done. It's a constant race, with new twists and turns added to every lap. Sometimes I feel like I've been running for 21 years.

I woke up this morning at 530 in an empty apartment and just laid in bed for a few minutes. I listened to the silence and I struggled to keep my eyes open. Quietly scolding myself I got up and went into my bathroom and plugged my straightener in. I glanced into the mirror and looked at my messed up hair and sort of laughed and then nervously looked away. Erin says I avoid eye contact. She has no idea how often I do it with myself. I turned around and went to use the bathroom. When I got out I did something unexpected. I unplugged my straightener, turned the light off and went back to bed. School can wait for a day.

I didn't get back out of bed until a little past 9. It was nice to choose to get out of bed because I wanted to, not because I had any place to be. I turned on my music and I began organizing my filing cabinet. I save a lot of things people write to me. Words mean so much to me, especially the written ones. That's how I fell in love with Chris, through the letters we wrote to each other. I have stacks and stacks of cards and letters from Jamie. I have birthday cards from years and years ago from a variety of different people. I read some things from Erin, smiled and then placed them neatly in my cabinet. I've debated giving everyone a separate folder. That may be too much though. As I continued to organize things I found a folder from my Senior Composition class. In it were letters of recommendation that a few of my teachers wrote. One of them stuck out more than the others.

There is no doubt that my self-esteem needs a major boost sometimes. Because in so many different ways across my life I've been told by the people closest to me that I'm not worth it. I bought into all the lies. There is, however, a huge accomplishment in the fact that I can recognize them as lies. The problem is, on most days, I still believe them. Today was one of those days. So I think God gave me something to read.

"If I am ever trapped in a life or death situation, I want Stephanie Gonzalez to be right by my side. This young woman has more drive and determination in her soul than most of us will have in a lifetime...Miss Stephanie Gonzalez is going to make a significant contribution to those in need in her life and do it with strength and grace"

A mere minute later, one of my friends sent me this through text: "I just wanted to tell you how beautiful you are! You are a strong, bright, and an amazing woman. I am truly blessed to have you in my life! Thank you so much for giving me the opportunity to have you as a friend. Have a great day Steph Steph."

I'm not quite sure what it is but I've been feeling overwhelmingly alone lately. As though at the end of the day I don't truly matter. I know that I'm loved. In fact I'm loved by more people right now than I ever have been in my life. But I think sometimes I run away from that because I'm so afraid. Afraid of losing everything and realizing nothing was real. I do not want my life to be on repeat.

But then I also realize that sometimes, I need to stop running and take time to breathe. And realize that maybe, I impact my little world more than I realize.

1 comment:

  1. W. O. W.

    I wish you knew how proud I was when I read that you slept in. It is such a luxury. And something out of your character that you truly benefit from.

    I think the loneliness for me is depression. Last night I broke down and shed a million tears over feeling lonely. When all around me are people who love me! My sis wanted to go shopping, my husband was holding me and wishing he knew what to say. There are people but sometimes the inner emptiness is simply unexplained.

    You know what I do to get out of bed and go to work or come home and do dishes?

    I stick a label on my feeling and get moving. Things seem much less frustrating if they have names. Love you.

    ReplyDelete