Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Hero

When I was in 7th grade we had to write a paper about what a hero is. My paper apparently was well received by my English teacher. He asked me if he could read it to his classes. In particular on parent shadow day. It made people cry and was then published in the newspaper. I never understood the hype. How can something I wrote in less than 20 minutes without much effort be something of impact? I still don't know.

The point of the paper was to highlight humanity's potential. To show that our potential is limitless. Heroism isn't meant for a select few but an attainable goal for everyone. In fact it went further to say that living was heroic in itself. That kind of heroism I struggle with. Because what does living even mean? A heart beat and breathing doesnt seem to cut it. We, myself included, were meant for more.

There's something else though. A type of heroics that I want to be. For everyone. But especially for you. I want to make that difference. I want to make you smile when all you feel like doing is crying. I want to shelter you from the storm. I want to be the one that saves you. But maybe I can't. Maybe you'll never let me. And that just sucks.

Maybe I need to try to save myself..

No comments:

Post a Comment