Sunday, March 20, 2011

Graduate School.

Sometimes I think I enjoy school a little too much. May is quickly approaching and I will walk across the stage and be handed a piece of paper that tells me simply that I've accomplished another goal. I'm proud to be graduating on time, especially considering I spent two years taking classes I didn't need for a major I never truly wanted. Most people in my situation would not still graduate in four years (well, 3 and a half). I made sure I did. My B.A. in Psych is a degree that I wanted but there is very little I can do with it. I need at least a masters to do anything truly psychology related bar from pushing papers in an office.

But I don't want to be a psychologist. I want to be a youth minister. So Steph, what's the problem? Well, instead of one masters degree I want two. Even if technically I don't need any for the job of my choice.

More than likely I'll take at least a semester off. I'm still ahead of the curve so I'm okay. I'll probably go crazy though. I need to be in school. I need knowledge. I need my brain to be stimulated. But the real question is what degree do I go after first and how am I going to pay for all of this? Then there's the where?

Here's a secret my friends that I've been harboring. I want to get a Masters in Theology at Franciscan University of Steubenville. In Ohio? Yes, in Ohio. Before you freak out though, I won't make the move (I have entertained the thought however). They have a distance learning program that I am so very interested in. I want to apply. Really badly. But then what about the masters in counseling that I want? Where and when do I get that? And again, money? Yeah. I have so little of that.

Sometimes I really wonder what I'm doing with my life. Not that I'm old or anything but I really do have nothing figured out. I have no idea what to do with school, I'm not sure if I'll get to be a youth minister, no clue if and when I'll ever get married, haven't the faintest idea where I'll be living in 5 years, and I'm not quite sure I can make it past just this year.

"Let the past be the past and let Me take care of the future." I'm trying God, really. But couldn't you give me something easy for once? And yes Lord, I know the answer to that too.

2 comments:

  1. I love these goals. I love that you write them down. I hate committing to grad school so writing it down was the hardest part for me!

    You're right. And so is God. He'll take care of everything as long as you're willing to help pave the path. I love you and know you'll be great. So great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love you. You're Brilliant!
    Apply love, you asked me yesterday and my answer is-apply. We'll figure out the money.
    When I first started reading this I was scared, I knew you wouldn't leave but I was scared you would! Especially since you said you wanted to go to SVO.
    I would say go for theology first, since you want to be a youth minister then go for counseling. I dunno, just my thoughts. But whatever you choose to do will be amazing and God will take care of it all.
    <3

    ReplyDelete