Saturday, October 23, 2010

Home

There's something beautiful about the Catholic Church that cannot be comprehended. It crosses barriers that lead straight to heaven. The Bride of Christ is perfect in all its wisdom and Tradition. The faith is something that I would die for without a second thought. I'm so very proud to be Catholic.

I was blessed this morning to be invited to a baptism of my friend's son Austin. Now I love baptism's for many different reasons. Number one, bringing a child into the Church is such a special sacrament. Being cleansed from original sin and being made perfect through the Holy Trinity is such a grace! I get chills thinking about it. Number two, baptizing our children makes the Church stronger. It continues our faith and builds our future. Being baptized as an infant guards the child from unnecessary evil. It seals them to Christ and fills them with His Spirit. I cannot stress the importance and the utmost splendor this first sacrament is. I pray that the parents and godparents of each child that was baptized today are true witnesses to the faith. I hope they take their responsibility as such seriously and are beacons of light in this world that is so often cloaked in darkness. My heart and prayers will forever be yours.

There was something else today that struck my heart. Deacon Keith is a wonderful man, and on more than one occasion his words have left me feeling ever more grateful for what I have. Deacon Keith used to be LDS before he converted to Catholicism. From talking to him I've come to realize that we share much in common. When I was 14 I was so close to being LDS. On the outside, it gave me everything I wanted. The "friends" I had who were LDS made me feel welcome. They treated me like I belonged. The strong concept of family and love is what I wanted my entire life and the Mormon faith was offering me that. I read the Book Of Mormon, I talked to missionaries, went to church with them, went to mutual a few times and I seriously thought that this is what I wanted. What I needed. But there was something inside me that just couldn't fully say yes. The research I did left me with too many questions. When I asked the missionaries certain things, they avoided them and simply stopped coming. The people I thought were my friends only wanted me if I became Mormon. I was torn and confused. Whatever faith I had in just God Himself was still very new. It wasn't strong. I was scared and so for what was then only the second time in my life I asked God for help. I asked Him to show me where He wanted me to be. It didn't matter to me where. I wanted His will to be done, not mine. So I prayed. Really hard. And I went to mass that day in June and my prayers were answered. Overwhelmingly so. Since that day there has never been any doubt. Each Eucharistic Celebration I'm reminded. Deacon Keith talked today about the sense of being home. He knew he should be Catholic because when he walked into a church he felt home. Why? Because Jesus Christ Himself, body and divinity, is right there on that altar. The same God that reigns in heaven is tucked safely in the tabernacle. That's what I felt that day in June. That's what I feel every time I step inside a Catholic Church. That's what Chris expressed to me when he was baptized this past Easter. The Church is home. My only home. Praise the Lord for that.

1 comment:

  1. I love that you are so devoted to your faith Steph. It would be such a blessing if more people, regardless of their religion, lived their lives the way you do. Your knowledge of God's love and divine guidance and recognition you give to Christ. It's beautiful. :)

    ReplyDelete