Friday, October 1, 2010

Music

I can't sing well at all. I've never learned how to play an instrument. I don't dance, nor do I really know how to. But music is a big part of my life. It's the best way I know how to worship, and it gets me through my toughest days. I just want to share some lyrics that I enjoy. Some of them are relevant to my life, some are just simply thought provoking. For me at least. You can try to figure out which are which.


I made a promise to myself
Locked it away deep down inside
Told my heart we'd wait it out
Swore we'd never compromise...
...Silence stared me in the face
And I finally heard its voice
It seemed to softly say
That in love you have a choice
Today i got the answer
And there's a world of truth behind it
Love is out there waiting somewhere
You just have to go and find it
-Dixie Chicks "I Believe in Love"

It may sound absurd...but don’t be naive
Even heroes have the right to bleed
I may be disturbed...but won’t you concede
Even heroes have the right to dream
It’s not easy to be me
-Five For Fighting "Superman"

Lost and insecure, you found me, you found me
Lying on the floor, surrounded, surrounded
Why'd you have to wait? Where were you? Where were you?
Just a little late. You found me, you found me
-The Fray "You Found Me"

I want to take you far from the cynics in this town
And kiss you on the mouth
We'll cut our bodies free from the tethers of this scene,
Start a brand new colony
Where everything will change,
We'll give ourselves new names (identities erased)
The sun will heat the grounds
Under our bare feet in this brand new colony
Everything will change
-The Postal Service "Brand New Colony"

My past won't stop haunting me
In this prison there's a fight between
Who I am and who I used to be
-Matt Maher "Empty and Beautiful"

Run just as fast as I can
To the middle of nowhere
To the middle of my frustrated fears
-Pink "Just like a Pill"

But I miss screaming and fighting and kissing in the rain
And it's 2am and I'm cursing your name
You're so in love that you act insane
And that's the way I loved you
Breakin' down and coming undone
It's a roller coaster kinda rush
And I never knew I could feel that much
And that's the way I loved you
-Taylor Swift "The Way I Loved You"

And I remember that fight, two-thirty AM
You said everything was slipping right out of our hands
I ran out, crying, and you followed me out into the street
Braced myself for the goodbye, cause that's all I've ever known
Then, you took me by surprise
You said, "I'll never leave you alone."
-Taylor Swift "Mine"

More than life itself, no one else
This endless promise
They don't make love like that anymore
is that too much to be askin for
I wanna a love like Johnny and June
Rings of fire burnin' with you
I wanna walk the line, walk the line
till the end of time
I wanna love, love you that much
cash it all in, give it all up
and when your gone, I wanna go too
Like Johnny and June
-Hedi Newfield "Johnny and June"

Cause when push comes to shove
You taste what you're made of
You might bend, till you break
Cause its all you can take
On your knees you look up
Decide you've had enough
You get mad you get strong
Wipe your hands shake it off
Then you stand, Then you stand
Life's like a novel
With the end ripped out
The edge of a canyon
With only one way down
Take what you're given before its gone
Start holding on, keep holding on
-Rascal Flatts "Stand"

I'm gonna pack my bags and never look back
Run a parallel line with the railroad tracks
And make my getaway
I'll put the pedal to the metal as the sun goes down
Leave everybody sleeping in this sleepy town tonight
And at the break of day I'll be a runaway
-Love and Theft "Runaway"

I run from pain
I run from prejudice
I run from pessimists
But I run too late
I run my life
Or is it running me
Run from my past
I run too fast
Or too slow it seems
When lies become the truth
That’s when I run to you
-Lady Antebellum "I Run to You"

Seems I was walking in the wrong direction
I barely recognized my own reflection, no
Scared of love, but scared of life alone
Seems I've been playin' on the safe side baby
Building walls around my heart to save me, oh
But it's time for me to let it go.
-Lady A "Ready to Love Again"

'Cuz love only comes,
once in awhile...
knocks on your door,
and throws you a smile...
takes every breath,
leaves every scar...
it speaks to your soul,
and sings to your heart...
-Lady A "If I Knew Then"

It's like I love this pain a little too much
Love my heart all busted up
Something 'bout her, we just don't work
But I can't walk away
It's like I love this pain
-Lady A "Love this Pain"

Better than I was
More than I am
And all of this happened
By takin' your hand
And who I am now
Is who I wanted to be
And now that we're together
I'm stronger than ever
I'm happy and free
-Tim McGraw and Faith Hill "It's Your Love"

Fumbling his confidence
And wond’ring why the world has passed him by
Hoping that he’s meant for more than arguments
And failed attempts to fly, fly
-Switchfoot "Meant to Live"

Past the point of no return,
no backward glances,
the games we've played till now are at an end
Past all thoughts of "if" or "when"
No use resisting: abandon thought and let the dream descend
What raging fire shall flood the soul?
What rich desire unlocks the door?
What sweet seduction lies before us?
-"Point of No Return" from the Phantom of the Opera Soundtrack

I thought if I could touch this place or feeling
This brokenness inside me might start healing
Out here it’s like I’m someone else
I thought that maybe I could find myself
-Miranda Lambert "The House that Built Me"


Okay, I should probably stop now. Hah.

No comments:

Post a Comment